Scholarship: Rhodes Scholarship India 2009 (Website)
Offered By: The Rhodes Scholarships (India)
Deadline for Submitting Applications: August 1, 2008
Citizens of India between the age 19-25 years, as of October 1, 2009, with atleast a first class degree in Humanities, Sciences, Law, Engineering, Agriculture or Medicine from an Indian University. Candidates who are in the final year of a degree course and have exceptionally bright academic record may also apply.
Rhodes Scholarship is tenable at the University of Oxford. The Scholarship is initially for a period of two years but if necessary, can be extended to a third year. The Rhodes Trustees would consider granting a third year only if it is clear that the additional year is eminently in the interest of a scholar’s studies and future career. Two years is the minimum period (and three years the maximum) for which a Rhodes Scholarship can be awarded.
A Rhodes Scholarship covers approved university and college fees and other charges for which payment is made directly to the Scholar’s college. It also covers living expenses sufficient to enable a Scholar to meet the necessary expenses for term-time and vacations. The Trust will also meet the cost of a Scholar’s air travel, economy class, to the United Kingdom and of return to India on completion of studies at Oxford.
The Scholarship for which application is to made in 2008 will be tenable from October 2009
Material To Be Submitted:
- Either a School leaving certificate or an extract from a University Register signed by the Registrar, as evidence of age (attested copy)
- Evidence of Courses taken and degrees, honour and other academic distinctions obtained. (Attested Copies only)
- A signed essay (preferably typed) by the candidate detailing the proposed course of study at Oxford, general interests and activities, including sports and future aims of the candidate. The essay should not exceed 1000 words and should be in English.
- The names and addresses of six persons well acquainted with the candidate, under at least three of whom he/she must have studied.
- One unmounted passport size photographs
- A medical certificate on a special form provided by the Rhodes Trust, from an approved doctor will be required from the candidates short listed.
More details can be obtained from the Application Form which can be downloaded here.
Visit the Homepage here.